Opposing demonstrations are set to take place over immigration policy this weekend, with thousands of people expected to rally in cities across the country.
The anti-immigration ‘March for Australia’ is set to face off with counter-protesters from various groups objecting to what some have labelled racist attitudes.
The different marchers in Sydney are not expected to clash, with police having granted applications at seperate locations across the CBD.
Activist and organiser for the Palestine Action Group Josh Lees told Central News both he and his organisation oppose the March for Australia, which calls for an end to “endless migration, weak leadership, and political cowardice”.
“We are determined to come out and massively outnumber them and show that the majority are with us – against this kind of white supremacist, horrible, racist filth,” he said.
“Politically, we want to absolutely counter their horrible message of racist hate and instead say that, ‘no, immigrants are welcome, refugees are welcome, we’re marching on Aboriginal lands and that this kind of horrible, far-right, white supremacism has no place here’.”
The march’s website specifically demands “no foreign flags” and “an end to mass migration” in Australia.
The group has organised rallies in all major Australian cities, including Perth, Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne, on Sunday.
“Our streets have seen growing displays of anti-Australian hatred, foreign conflicts, and disintegrating trust, whilst mass migration has torn at the bonds that held our communities together,” the group’s website states.
“This march is a stand for the people, culture, and nation that built Australia – and for our right to decide its future.”
So long as the police can coordinate them in such a way where they don’t come to blows with one another, then the protest should proceed.
About 4,000 people have registered nationally for March for Australia, with another 7,300 indicating they are interested. In Sydney 600 have registered, with 1300 more expressing interest through the group’s Facebook page. They will meet at Belmore Park, near Central Station, while the counter-protest at Hyde Park is likely to attract even more, with last week’s pro-Palestine rally attracting tens of thousands of people.
March for Australia has denied any link with self-described neo-Nazi Thomas Sewell’s White Australia party, however numerous organisations, including far-right-wing groups have claimed involvement with the march.
Legal expert Michael Cope, the president of the Queensland Council for Civil Liberties, said regardless of their stances both sides should be free to express their views safely.
“Our view is they are entitled to conduct their protest,” he said. “This is fundamental political speech, it’s the core of what free speech is about. That’s where, as we see it, government restrictions have to be the minimum possible.”
He added: “Free speech needs to put the limit close to the incitement of violence, and within those limits people should be entitled to express their views.
“I think there are a number of things said on the ‘March for Australia’ website that I wouldn’t agree with, but there will be someone out there who would be saying the opposite.”
Main image by Central News.